Sunday, February 29, 2004

Howdy World!

This has been a very busy weekend so far for me with no end in sight. It really started Thursday night and has kept right on coming. Without boring the world with all the details, it's been fun, so far. I've gotten to spend a lot of time with my friends these past few days, many of whom I haven't been able to spend much time with lately because of my job and just the complex nature of working a regular 8-5 job life and having a lot of friends who are still students. As you can imagine, the times they are compatible are not many.

Which brings me to something from Thursday, which I am sure some folks are wondering about because it was very out of nature for me. I backed out of a commitment with some of "my boys" in order to spend time with some other friends I haven't really been able to spend time with and talk to lately. Sure the folks I did hang out with, I see them quite often, but seldom get to talk to and just hang out for a few hours with. It was a difficult decision, but the right one because I had been feeling like I had been neglecting some good friends for no reason other than our schedules not being all that great. So the opportunity presented itself to really spend time with them, I jumped at it, at the expense of another group of friends.

As I have said before, my friends are the closest to family I have near me since moving to Texas. Sure I can call family on the phone, but when you need to talk to someone face to face, or go to a ball game with, or just go and have a quiet dinner, or lunch away from the office to relax, it's my friends I lean on. Cause, let's face it, no one in my family is flying half way across country to just do lunch. Someone once told me, you know folks are you're friends when you would be willing to pay the last full measure for them. I can't think of any of my friends who I wouldn't be willing to do that for if I had to. I trust them more than they know, heck if my life depended on them...I'd trust them.

Anyway, I'm really sad to see February coming to an end. The past month has been one of the happiest of my life. It started off with a Patriots Super Bowl win, a new job, the start of Aggie baseball, Dale Jr. winning the 135 qualifier and the Daytona 500, the beginning of membership classes for Westminster, and just being able to spend times with my friends. Some of that's petty, some of that is important life "stuff", for lack of a better word, and I've truly been blessed this month with more joy and gladness than anyone person truly deserves. Sure there are peaks and valley's, but I've been riding a lot of peaks lately. Which is fortunate, but it does make one ponder what kind of valley's are down the road. It's one of those things I think about from time to time, but try not to dwell on too much.

Another good thing has happened lately in Fort Myers, Florida. Pitchers and catchers and the rest of the roster have reported to City of Palms Park as the Boston Red Sox embark on the quest for their first World Series Championship since 1918. This is the year I think they will "Reverse the Curse," which I will get into some other time.

I know, I'm bouncing all over the place...but that's been my weekend. Bouncing from one thing to another, so yes, I am tired, but I wouldn't trade any of this for anything. As my friends my know, I can sometimes wear my heart on my sleave and sometimes I am unreadable. If I've been unreadable lately, just know I may not show it but I'm smiling a big old Cheshire cat grin. And on that note, I am off to bed.

At some point tomorrow between church, lunch and baseball, I need to get laundry done. This is more a note to me...unless anyone wants to lend a hand!



No comments: