Sunday, March 07, 2004

Ok, post of the weekend upcoming and it's going to be interesting.

First off, went and saw Mel Gibson's movie "The Passion of the Christ" with Swagga and Josh. It was a very emotionally and mentally challenging film. It did have a lot of what I feel to be Roman Catholic slant to the Passion, but that was to be expected, Mr. Gibson being a Catholic and all. I must say, despite the debates over the past week with friends about whether or not the movie violated the 2nd commandment aside, the film was visually stunning and quite good for what it attempts to do. I enjoyed the movie for what it was, but will leave it up to anyone else to form their own opinions of the film. That's all I am going to say about that.

Ok, on to a subject that has been cropping up a lot lately, and I am loading this one up and taking aim at women in a broad general sense, that being motives of men. Much to often society portrays men as hound dogs, chasing skirts and looking for a way to fulfill their lustful desires. However, I look around at my friends and myself and see something different. I see guys with respect and honor for women. Guys who are men of their word and keep it to a fault, even if it draws improper impressions from the female netowork. I was raised to understand that a man's word means something, that it his his bond. The simple inability of a man to follow through on his word calls into question every aspect of who he is. To many men, our word is who we are, because you could strip us of everything that we are, take it all away and start us at ground zero, next to our faith in our Lord and Savior, our word is all we have to stand on. Without which, we are nothing but liars and cheats and typical guys in society. The measure of a man isn't what he has done, or what he will do; the measure of a man is what he does when he say's to someone what he will do and then follows up on what he says. Anyone can pay "lip service" and be insincere in their actions, but it is simply wrong to do so. It is better to stick to one's word and be wounded by perceptions than it is to not stick to it and be killed by the reality.

Why do I bring this up? Well, lately I've seen a lot of it around me and in my own life. I know people who are seeing things in my actions, my sticking to my word and my promises, who are seeing something that is not there. They are reading more into things than they should and it bothers me. It bothers me a lot. I wish it didn't, but it does. For instance, once conversation I had today, from which I came away feeling like the bad guy in the situation was pretty much the emotional moment of the day (save for seeing "The Passion")...literally bringing me to tears. I know it wasn't intentional, but it still cut deep. I choose my wording now very carefully because I don't mean anything by this except to make a point by example: if someone expresses an interest in doing certain things with certain groups of people and that group is doing something...it only makes sense to invite that person...leaving it up to them to par take or not. If you tell them they are welcome to join said group activities, then it only makes sense to tell them when something is going down so they can decide if they want to hang with that group at that moment. It usually falls to the person who knows the invited best within the group. Simple enough concept, one would think, right? Besides, sometimes people just come into and out of your life for a set period, might as well try to get to know them as best you can in the time you have, cause one day...you wake up and they're gone and you regret not getting to know them better, not being a closer friend and not being as good a friend as you could have been. As my blogging lately has focused a lot on my friends...that's one of the reason's why it has been a main subject..that thought has been at the front of mind a lot and most likely will continue to be so as the spring progresses and fades into summer.

Ok, now that that's out of the way. Congratulations to my good friends Ted and Sara, who are now dating!! It's actually been about a week now, but I've been so busy..I haven't given them their ink time of cyber immortality on my blog. I know Ted reads this and as I know I've mentioned to both of them, it about time!!! May the Lord guide and anchor your relationship and just place all your trust in Him as you both start down this path. The Lord has His time for all things: His plan, His time, His schedule....none of this is our doing.

Well it is 2 AM central time. Time for this boy to go to bed.

No comments: