Thursday, July 22, 2004

On the twenty-second day of July, in the year one thousand nine hundred and seventy eight I was born in the City of Warwick in the State of Rhode Island.  Twenty-six years have now passed since that great day.  In honor of this historic day (ok, semi-historic) I present 26 things I fondly recall and 26 things I want to do in life.

26 Things from the Past 26 Years
 
1.  Auburn Tool & Die vs.  Johnston's Post...My only out of the park homerun.
2. Bill Buckner and Game 6 in 1986
3. Roger Clemens and 20k's vs. Seattle when I was in first grade.
4. Going to the zoo with my Pa and little bro and watching the polar bears.
5. Vacations in New Hampshire in the white mountains in the summer time.
6. "Up mine"...long story
7.  I broke my elbow on the monkey bars.
8.  I almost lost an eye walking into a door going upstairs.
9.  Tagging the corner of the school while playing tag and 16 stiches above my eye.
10. Winning the Rhode Island State Wrestling Championship for the first time on Mom's Birthday.
11. That Jr. High yearbook video...I pray it never sees the light of day.
12. That kid with the pink singlet at the New England Wrestling Championships, whipped us all and taught us a lesson about guys wearing pink..they need to be good to wear it.
13. Inman and Zubeyk
14. Pilgrim Patriot Pride
15. My brother striking out 18 in two straight games in Little League (6 inning games)
16. Ray Black in the parking lot, Thanksgiving 1993.
17. Slick Vic's English Class and Mr. D's History class.
18. 1995, magic returns to Pilgrim football...State Title game...just ran out of time.
19. RPI Intramural Softball SuperEgos and Diamondcutters.
20. Working on a multi-billion dollar project right out of RPI.
21. Big Red Freakouts
22. Taking a chance on grad school.
23. Stepping off a plane in College Station to move here, never seeing it before then.
24. Midnight Yells
25. Fox Nights
26. The great friends I've made along the way.

26 Things I want to Do

1.  See the fields at Gettysburg, Shiloh, Vicksburg.
2.  See the inside of the Alamo.
3.  Meet a great woman, get married and raise a family.
4.  Normandy Beaches.
5.  Great Pyramids.
6.  Stand inside the Coliseum in Rome.
7.  Vacation in Hawaii and see Pearl Harbor.
8.  Visit the remaining states I have not been to.
9.  Visit England, Ireland, and Scotland.
10. Learn to tango.
11. Visit the College Football Hall of Fame and find my name there. (I'm in it)
12. Baseball games in Wrigley Field and Yankee Stadium (I know the heart of the enemy)
13. See a Daytona 500 and a race at Bristol.
14. Write a book, doesn't have to be published, just want to see if I could do it.
15. Take a ride in a Cup car.
16. They tell me Greece is nice.
17. Learn to play the guitar fairly well (working on that)
18. Find a nice plot of land and get some cows and a horse or two, just for an excuse to saddle up and ride.
19. World Series game at Fenway Park.
20. Go see the Olympics, a summer and a winter games.
21. Read as much as I can on a wide variety of subjects.
22. Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history judge.
23. Run the Boston Marathon.
24. Ride a bull.
25. While I'm at it, this isn't for me, but I'd like to see a man walk on the moon and on Mars in my lifetime.
26. Remember at all times that not matter what I want to do or what plans I make, that the Lord has His own plan for me and were He leads, I shall humbly follow.

So there it is, 26 things I remember, and 26 things I'd like to maybe do.
Here's to another year older, another year wiser, and another year of this wonderful life that God has blessed me with.

 

 


No comments: