Sunday, April 10, 2005

Well, it's Saturday night and I just got back from the Wolf Pen Creek Amitheater as my collegues at the Parks Department and Utilities opened the Starlight Music Series in grand fashion. The opening act and amatuer contest filled the time till my third favorite redhead hit the stage to open the show, and Miss Bonnie Bishop didn't let us down, she put on a really good, though terribly short show, an hour and change doesn't make for the best set list. I remembered at the end of the night to once again sign up for her list-serv, maybe this time it will work, e-mail addresses I've tried in the past seem to filter out the list-serv as spam. Closing for Miss Bishop were the Kings of Western Swing...Asleep at the Wheel. All I can say is, wow, they're great. If you haven't seen them and they're coming to your town...go! All in all it was a fun time.

In other great news, April 30, I am going to the Ballpark at Arlington to see the Sox play the Rangers. I have not been to a Sox game since May 2003, when they played the Rangers at Fenway. Now that I'm living in Texas and trying to establish my own little corner of Red Sox Nation here, I look forward to seeing them and thanking them in my own way for allowing me to now die in peace.

Speaking of my beloved Sox, I went Friday night to go see Fever Pitch, the new movie with Jimmy Fallon, Drew Barrymore, and the Sox. I enjoyed it very much and not surprisingly saw an awful lot of myself in Fallon's character, the die-hard Red Sox fan who becomes torn between the Sox and a woman. Also, seeing the Sox and the playoff run from last year on the big screen was truly great. However, there where some inaccuracies in the film. Opening day at Fenway in 2004 was not against the Texas Rangers, it was against Baltimore. For shooting purposed on location the film makers changed the team, it's minor but a pain. As for the soundtrack, I do hope that it will be released because it is plethora of songs which all hold a very special meaning to me, from Dirty Water, to Tessie, Sweet Caroline, and Carl Yastremski (from the 1976 imPossible Dream team).

In other news, a conversation this week opened up a great opportunity to possibly pursue something I've been interested in pursuing for some time now. I don't want to jinx it, but one reader will know what I mean, right Arnie? (I am so dead now, I know!)

Coming full circle back to Red Sox Nation, I have been kicking around the idea of researching what it would take to open a sport's bar and grille. I could pile it with Aggie, Red Sox, Celtic, Bruins, and Pats stuff. I could call it "The Nation", "The Bloody Sock", or some other names. I don't know if it would work, but it's a thought I've had in my head. Who know's, perhaps just a lonely Sox fan's pipedream.

Go see Fever Pitch.

2 comments:

Andy said...

You didn't get her number did you? Shame shame shame

Ed said...

May 13th maybe.

I'd say April 30th, but I'll be in Arlington.