Monday, May 02, 2005

Traveling the Arlington Road


On Saturday, I made the journey to the green cathedral in Arlington, TX to watch the Rangers take on the defending World Champions, the Boston Red Sox. Let me say this right off the bat, Arlington is a nice park, but it's sterile and lacks any charm. I was dismayed with the modern amenties such as restraunts and playlands for the kiddos. The lack of vendors coming through the stands to peddle hot dogs and soda was a travesty, as was the idea that anyone would bay over dollars for lite beer in a plastic bottle. Outside the stadium was just as bad with not charm, no street vendors, no smells of sausage, no hawking of souveneirs. It made me appreciate the special nature of Fenway Park.
That being said, it was a great game to watch. Sitting in left field gave a great view of the game. Tek, Johnny Damon, and Trot Nixon went yard (Damon and Nixon back to back). Bronson Arroyo, Mike Timlin, and Keith Foulke combined to stifle the Ranger bats. Sox won 9-2.
With the 7:05 start, I ventured back to College Station after a meal at a local Chili's (and a few Dr. Pepper's) and arrived home at the early hour of 4 AM. So worth it!
Next up the Astros and a Roger Clemens pitched game sometime this summer. One last time to see the Rocket, for the third and final time. Once with Boston, once with Pawtucket, and one last dance with the Astros.
I'm out.

PS. RIP Chief J. Joyce
RIP Trixie

1 comment:

Steven Taylor said...

I'm hoping this summer to be able to take my oldest daughter, Erin, to an Astro's game, maybe. I went once a few years ago when the Rangers and Astros played an interleague game.