Monday, September 12, 2005

Takin Baby Steps Into a New Arena

Tonight I took the small baby steps into a new arena. Having played at some point in my life, and in some cases I still play, baseball, rugby, football, wrestling, soccer, basketball, and a wee nip of golf, I can say firmly that I love competition. I thrive upon it and the bigger the spotlight the more I tend to enjoy it. Though I never had nor will I never in the future make money playing sports there is a part of me that craves physicality and competition. Tonight, after spending many months in contemplation and working my schedule out, I began taking baby steps into a new sporting arena. Tonight I began what I pray will be a long and fruitful hockey career. I began taking the baby steps needed to eventually play in a rec league here in town. Though I can skate, it requires training and learning to gain the maximum energy with minimum effort and tonight I began to learn. I even was moving in reverse by the end of the night, though with difficulty, I was going backwards none the less, and hence moving slowly forwards as a result of the rearwards direction of my body down the ice. I worked my a$$ off tonight with the help of a fine instructor and am looking forward to more work on my own tomorrow night.

Many will say, but Ed you're too old to try this, you risk serious injury. To the naysayers I reply simply, yes I do risk injury but I do that just by rolling out of bed in the morning. So lookout, for I know only one way to approach sport and that is to be the best I can possibly be. This is going to be one fun ride. Buckle up them chin straps, this is going to be one hell of a ride!

No comments: