Wednesday, May 03, 2006


Book Review

I just finished reading The Spirit of the Liturgy by Joesph Cardinal Ratzinger (that name should ring a bell). It is a wonderfully written treatment of the "great prayer of the Church" and will assist readers in rediscovering the Liturgy in all its hidden spiritual wealth and transcendent grandeur as the very center of our Christian life.
In his own foreward to the book, Cardinal Ratzinger compares this work to a much earlier classic of the same title by Romano Guardini because his insights here are similar with what Guardini achieved in his time regarding a renewed understanding of the Liturgy. I do believe after I may have to track down this work by Guardini is it is available in a current English translation.

"My purpose here is to assist this renewal of understanding of the Liturgy. Its basic intentions coincide with what Guardini wanted to achieve. The only difference is that I have had to translate what Guardini did at the end of the First World War, in a totally different historical situation, into the context of our present-day questions, hopes and dangers. Like Guardini, I am not attempting to involve myself with scholarly discussion and research. I am simply offering an aid to the understanding of the faith and to the right way to give the faith its central form of expression in the Liturgy." —Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger

I give it 5 Biretta's out of a possible 5.

It's small, but deep, it took me awhile to get through. So if you have time and patience and want a wonderful read, go for it, it will not disappoint if you allow yourself to get through it.

2 comments:

Kacy said...

This post made me interested in both books. Here's the link to the Guardini book on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0824517776/sr=8-2/qid=1146945111/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-4038053-6755823?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Ed said...

Thanks for the link, I'll be making an Amazon splurge in a few weeks, as soon as I pay off my eye doctor and car repair charges, which off course is better than no seeing or having the breaks fail going down the highway.