Sunday, December 10, 2006

Hopes and dreams. We all have them. Some large, some not so large. Some we will achieve and others we won't. Does not achieving some of our dreams makes us a failure? No, not at all. I once dreamt of being a professional baseball player. I spent hours upon hours perfecting and honing the skills I would need to make that happen. Then one day I realized, I was never talented enough to compete with those who went pro. Sure I hit them and could hold my own, but I was missing that something they had and I had to give up the dream. Didn't make me a failure, because I tried and for whatever reason it didn't work out.

Big dreams, I have them. Wife, kids, house, nice plot of land to ride my horse on (don't have a horse, though I'd like one), a job that places food on the table and pays the bills. Will I have all of that, it would be nice, but they all may not be in the cards.

Small dreams, pass the P.E., enjoy my job, live a life where I leave a legacy to my family in the way the live their lives. On my tombstone, I'd be happy with "He Lived".

However, what we're "supposed" to do often get's in the way. I moved here 4.5 years ago to do something bold, something unexpected, and something I have enjoyed since. I don't regret my decision one bit, it's been a grand adventure. However, when does adventure end and the "supposed" to do stuff start creeping back in? I don't know the answer to that, but I am having my suspicions which is kind of scary if you think about it. You see I'm a dreamer, and dreamers, well, we dream. And sometimes, those things we think are holding us somewhere, well, they're not holding us at all. We're holding us by being afraid of chasing the dream. We're not failures if we don't achieve them, we are chicken shit if we don't even try to chase them. Let the chase being, cause there ain't nothing holding me back. Second star on the right, and straight on till morning.

1 comment:

Kacy said...

Hey Ed, I'm blogging again. I put your blog in my "Blog links." I hope you don't mind.