Monday, November 05, 2007

Three For the Price of One

I just finished reading a truly good novel.  Michael O'brien's novel: Father Elijah, An Apocalypse is one of the better works of fiction I have been able to read as of late.  Father Elijah is Carmelite Monk in Jerusalem who is tapped by the Vatican to confront in love a man who may just be the harbinger of the end times.  Along the way we learn about life, the world around us, and this man Father Elijah who's past is most complex indeed.   Give it a read.  I look forward to reading more of this author.

This Saturday I had the honor of being able to caravan down to Houston with some folks from Church to see a small indpendent film, Bella.  A movie that is well made, well acted, well shot...just a simple movie driven by characters and not special effects.  A family film with a great message about life and how precious it truly is.  GO SEE IT!   It was the winner at the Toronto Film Festival for People's Choice.  It should get some Oscar buzz, but I don't know if Hollywood will accepting of it's message.  Amazingly....it was shot in New York City in 24 days of filming Trailer below:


Thirdly, I played a grueling hockey game tonight.  After 3 periods and a shootout that went through both benches and finally the goalies shooting on each other the final score was 0-0.  What fun!  I can not help but reflect on how sport can bring people of various backgrounds, faiths and anything else that can make us different together in the spirit of competition and sportmanship.  The gaps this can bridge between us are huge.  I can't be thankful enough for the chance to compete with these great men and women week in and week out.  

Finally, I just want to wish you all a great week.  God Bless!

No comments: