Wednesday, March 12, 2008

So, I have eye surgery next Tuesday.  It turns out I have, somehow, developed cataracts in both eyes.  Simply stated, I have a cloudy zone on the lens in both eyes that is right behind my pupil.  This cloudiness has resulted in fuzzy vision, difficulty reading and the appearance of haziness/fog in brght light.  Usually, folks don't develop these until their 50s and 60s, but they can happen younger than that.  That's my case.  So I go Tuesday, they'll drug me up, go into my left eyeball and remove my lens and replace it with an artificial one.  It will put me out commission for for a day or so.  Most unfortunately is no hockey for 10 days.  Fortunately, my next league game is scheduled for day 13.   I may get the right eye done on day 14.  my next game being on day 28.  So it may work out.  Plus it gives me a chance to wait on and install my new face cage and shield before then.  I am abandoning my cage for a cage/visor combo which will shield the eyes from anything that could get in them and irritate them while they heal.  I can skate though, just no hockey practice or games.   

I start eye drops Saturday and will find out tomorrow what time I am getting "cut on".   I'm a bit nervous but excited that this eye trouble that's been bothering me for awhile will finally be cleared up (pun intended)!

Another great thing, I'll be out and about in time for Holy Thursday!  

2 comments:

Kacy said...

I'll be praying that your surgery goes well. My mom is a nurse who does prep for cataract surgeries. It's a relatively painless procedure. You should be back playing hockey in no time.

Ed said...

Thank's Kacy! Any news on grad schools?